Santa Cruz County Office of the District Attorney Public Administrator
|General Agency Information|
|Name:||Santa Cruz County Office of the District Attorney Public Administrator|
|Alternate Name(s):||Santa Cruz County Public Administrator|
|Address:||701 Ocean Street, Room 200|
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
|Days/Hours of Operation/Phone:||Monday-Friday, 8am-12 and 1-5pm|
|Description:||The Deputy Public Administrator investigates and may administer estates when there is no next of kin, no one else willing or able to act on behalf of the decedent, or when appointed by the court because of a contested Will or other extraordinary situation. The overall goal is to carry out the wishes of the decedent when known. The Deputy Public Administrator will also determine and authorize use of the Sheriff Coroner's funds for Indigent Cremations, when a decedent or next of kin are financially unable to pay for disposition, as required by law.
* Protect decedent's property from waste, loss or theft. (Such as real property, vehicles, personal property, money, accounts, pets, etc.)
* Make appropriate arrangements for disposition of the body when there are no known relatives or other directives in place.
* Conduct thorough investigations to locate next of kin and/or a Will.
* Ensure that the estate is administered according to the decedent's testate wishes, or, as allowed under the Probate Code in cases of intestacy.
* Conduct thorough investigation to locate assets and ensure that all benefits and revenue due the estate are applied for and received. (This may include closing bank accounts, liquidating stocks, selling real or personal property.)
* Notify creditors and pay bills and taxes if the estate is solvent.
* Locate persons entitled to inherit from the estate and ensure that these individuals receive their inheritance after the costs of administration and creditors have been paid.
|Languages other than English:||None|
|Accommodations for Disabled:||Wheelchair Access|
|Public Transportation:||Available Within Four Blocks|
|Fees:||Call for Information|
|Areas Served:||Santa Cruz County|
|Physical Location:||Santa Cruz|
|Funding Source:||County Government|
|Parent Agency:||Santa Cruz County Office of the District Attorney|
|Estate Entitlement Assistance|
|This record last modified June 14, 2013|