0172

The wharf at Pigeon Point Landing. At one time, it was used as a whaling station and a shipping station for the dairy products from nearby coastal dairies. Pigeon Point was named for the British sailing vessel, the Carrier Pigeon, that wrecked on the rocks in 1865. The Pigeon Point Light Station (to the right) was built in 1871. The light was first lit in 1872. (This area is now part of Pigeon Point Lighthouse State Historic Park)

Date: ca. 1870s
Place: Pigeon Point (part of Santa Cruz County until 1868 when it became part of San Mateo County)
Sources of Information: Written on back of photo; Koch pp. 63, 74, 186; Pigeon Point Lighthouse State Historic Park website
Original Size: 7"x4"(?)
Medium: b&w

This photograph is the property of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries, California.

Full size: 600x384
0172
Powered by Gallery v2.2