The Davenport jail was built in 1914. Made entirely of cement from the nearby Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company, the walls are eight inches thick.The only known occupants were two boys from San Mateo who were held overnight for horse stealing and a drunk who was kept there until he sobered up. The building was given to the Santa Cruz County Society for Historic Preservation in 1979. It opened as a museum in December 1987.
Sources of Information: Alverda Orlando; Santa Cruz County Historical Trust; Koch. p. 76
Medium: digital; color
This photograph is the property of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries, California.