The Salz Leathers sign includes the logo as well as the phrase "natural leather since 1861". The buildings were painted a distinctive barn red and were a landmark along the River Street/Highway 9 corridor. This photograph was taken by Shmuel Thaler/Sentinel photos, and accompanied a time line that ran in the Santa Cruz Sentinel. There was no separate caption for it.
Date: August 4, 2001
Place: Santa Cruz city
Source of Information: Santa Cruz Sentinel
Related Article: "Longtime Tannery Survived Flood, Fire" [Sentinel, August 4, 2001]
Sources of information: Sentinel archives, historian Carolyn Swift.
Medium: digital, color
This photograph is the property of the Santa Cruz County Sentinel.